Welcoming All Groups

National 4‑H Conference Center welcomes all groups for overnight accommodations, meetings, events and Washington, D.C. tours. Perfect for groups visiting or planning a Washington, D.C. event, the hotel is situated on 12 beautiful acres in the upscale neighborhood of Chevy Chase, Maryland. In addition, staying at the Conference Center helps to support 4‑H positive youth development by providing funding and resources to deliver our programs to millions of youth around the world. National 4‑H Conference Center is the Washington, D.C. area’s nonprofit hotel and conference center, just minutes from D.C.’s museums and historic sites.

Designed as a center for youth development, National 4‑H Conference Center first opened their doors in 1959. Since then, the Center has continuously expanded and now features hotel rooms for 800+ guests, flexible meeting space and Clover Cafe, the hotel’s all-you-can-eat dining buffet.

An experience like a trip to Washington, D.C. and an event at National 4‑H Conference Center will make life-long memories and develop engaged, proactive citizens and leaders.We hope to be your educational partner in the Washington, D.C. area.

Group, Conference, & Event Planning

  • Washington, D.C. group friendly hotel accommodations
  • 40,000 square feet of flexible meeting space and 41 meeting rooms
  • Ideal for spiritual retreats or leadership meetings
  • D.C. day meeting packages available
  • Guided tours of Washington, D.C. & interactive workshops
  • Private catering and banquet receptions
  • Access to the fitness center and outdoor basketball and sand volleyball court
  • Indoor recreation room with pool tables and foosball
  • Complimentary parking for cars and buses
  • Conveniently accessible from D.C.’s three major airports – BWI, DCA and IAD

History of National 4‑H Conference Center

Now one of the largest non-academic education and conference facilities in America, the National 4‑H Conference Center has a rich history that dates back more than a century.

In 1893, Francis G. Newlands built the Chevy Chase Inn on a large plot of farmland. In 1903, the property was converted into a college for women, an identity it maintained for nearly half a century.

In 1951, the National 4‑H Foundation, established two years earlier, bought the school to house its national training center. However, due to the growing conflict in Korea, the U.S. Defense Department immediately requested the use of the property for an Operations Research Office.

The property was returned to the 4‑H movement in 1957, and promptly underwent renovations with the aid of the Ford and Danforth Foundations, among other funding sources.

On June 16, 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower presided over the opening ceremonies for the National 4‑H Center, which quickly became the national home for 4 H, hosting annual 4‑H conferences and year-round training programs for youth, volunteer leaders and professional staff.

During the late 1970s, the National 4‑H Foundation merged with the National 4‑H Service Committee in Chicago to become the National 4‑H Council – the non-profit entity which now owns and operates this exceptional facility.

Today, the National 4‑H Conference Center continues this rich tradition by hosting a variety of groups in a safe, enriching environment during visits to our nation’s capital, Washington, D.C..

Learn more about the history of 4‑H.