National 4‑H Conference Center Code of Conduct
For the safety of our visitors, the National 4‑H Conference Center insists that all groups adhere to our Code of Conduct, which outlines our alcohol-free policy, as well as other important rules.
Please note: Adult chaperones and group leaders are responsible for enforcing the Code.
The following are rules and conditions for guests at the National 4‑H Conference Center.
- The National 4‑H Conference Center is an alcohol-free facility. Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs is prohibited. This includes the grounds and streets surrounding the National 4‑H Conference Center. In addition, public intoxication is illegal in the State of Maryland and is punishable by law.
- Possession of sexually explicit materials is prohibited. In addition, the computers in the Cyber Café may not be used to download, create, receive, forward, or transmit inappropriate, offensive, or sexually explicit communications.
- Smoking or using other tobacco products is prohibited in all buildings, meetings rooms, and guests’ rooms. Smoking is permitted in designated outdoor areas only. Penalty fee of $400.00/ violation
- Fireworks are prohibited in the State of Maryland and at the National Y-H Conference Center.
- Lighting of candles or incense is prohibited in all buildings, meeting rooms, and guest rooms.
- No pets or animals are allowed, except for trained guide dogs.
- Shirts and shoes are required inside all buildings at all times.
- Guests must respect personal public property. Repair costs of damages incurred to property will be billed to the group responsible for such damages.
- A zoning law requires that there be no “organized” programs or activities after 11:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday or after midnight Friday and Saturday. Guests are asked to refrain from making noise in common areas and sleeping rooms between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Facility curfew is 11:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday and midnight on Friday and Saturday, which means each person needs to be in his or her own room at these times.
- Exterior doors on campus are locked at 8:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. (depending upon the location and scheduled activities) each evening in order to provide a safe environment for our guests. Exterior doors are unlocked at 7:00 a.m. each day.
- Vending and selling merchandise is prohibited in public areas and to others outside your own group membership.
- All food and beverages consumed on the property, in meeting rooms, and other public areas must be ordered and/or purchased through the National 4‑H Conference Center. You may not bring your own food.
- Before or during checkout, guests must pay for all incidental charges.
- To protect the safety of Center guests, no fraternization is allowed in participant’s lodging rooms. Any participant who has a complaint regarding fraternization should contact his or her group coordinator.
ADULT CHAPERONES AND GROUP LEADERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ENFORCING THE RULES AS STATED. VIOLATORS MAY BE ASKED TO LEAVE AND BE SENT HOME AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. THESE RULES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO INTERPRETATION AND EACH GROUP IS EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THEM WITHOUT EXCEPTION. OUR PRIMARY CONSIDERATION IS TO PROVIDE A SAFE, SECURE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL OUR GUESTS.
National 4‑H Conference Center Emergency Guidelines
- ON OR OFF CAMPUS, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LOCATION OF THE NEAREST EXIT TO YOUR MEETING AND/OR SLEEPING ROOM.
- COUNCIL WILL MONITOR EMERGENCY INFORMATION over the radio, television, and other media for instructions from appropriate authorities as to specific action in response to a specific situation.
- REPORT EMERGENCY TO THE FRONT DESK. Report anything unusual, suspicious or hazardous to the front desk. If you discover a fire, go to the nearest wall mounted pull station and sound the alarm. If it is safe to do so, report your name and the fire location to the front desk.
- FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS of Emergency, Council and Conference Center officials.
- CHECK-IN WITH YOUR GROUP LEADER, who will be taking roll to make sure everyone is accounted for.
- IF WE MUST LEAVE THE BUILDINGS QUICKLY: THE FRONT DESK WILL NOTIFY GUESTS VIA TELEPHONE, INTERCOM ALARM AND/OR IN PERSON AS NECESSARY AND APPROPRIATE. GO QUICKLY TO THE EXIT OR DOWN THE NEAREST STAIR (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS – ELEVATORS WILL NOT BE WORKING WHEN THE FIRE/EMERGENCY ALARM SOUNDS). Close the doors behind you. Gather on the basketball court area in front of JCPenney Hall or in the parking lot behind JCPenney Hall. Check in with your group leader/team leader/area captain, who will be taking roll to make sure everyone has evacuated the buildings.
- IF WE MUST “SHELTER IN PLACE” FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS! You will be instructed to either go to the lower floor or the upper floor of the building you are in depending on the emergency. Use the stairs, move away from windows and loose objects, and stand in doorframes.
- If you are told to go DOWN: go to the Kentucky Room, Kellogg Building; Oklahoma Room, McCormick Building; or Coca-Cola Recreation Room, JC Penney or Ketner Buildings.
- If you are told to go UP: go to the highest floor in the building you are in.
- LEADERS of each group of guests will account for the guests in their group and report the count to the front desk when required and/or requested.
- TRAVEL ITINERARIES must be filed with the National 4‑H Conference Center at registration which will include the Group Leader’s cellular or pager number.