Request for Proposal: National Youth Summit on Agri-Science
National 4‑H Conference Center invites you to submit a presentation proposal for the National Youth Summit on Agri-Science, to be held January 9-12, 2020 at the National 4‑H Conference Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland.
Attendees are immersed in an agenda focused on agricultural science, food security and sustainability while also learning about careers in agri-science.
At the 2020 National Youth Summit on Agri-Science youth and adult teams will:
- Gain knowledge and skills in agri-science in a variety of science and engineering topics including animal, plant,
environmental and food science as well as agricultural engineering and technology, with an emphasis on new and
emerging areas of development such as precision agriculture, alternative energy, genetic modifications, consumer trends.
- Gain an understanding of current issues of concern in agriculture, as well as their variability across the nation,
including food security and sustainability and agricultural literacy and learn how youth can address these issues.
- Identify their personal strengths and consider their connection to careers in agriculture.
- Increase their awareness of careers in agriculture and the pathways to those careers.
- Identify an agri-science issue in their community, consider potential solutions and develop an Action Plan their team
can execute to address the issue.
The target audience are youth in grades 9–12, and each 45 minute workshop will have an average of 15 – 30 participants. It is highly recommended that workshops include a 15-minute, hands-on activity as part of the session plus handouts/outlines for participants to take home.
Submitting a Workshop Proposal
Proposals may incorporate any Summit subtopic that is appropriate for the intended audience.
Workshops could relate to, but are not limited to:
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Science
- Plant Science
- Agricultural Communications & Marketing
- Environmental Science
- Food Science and Technology
- Urban Agriculture
We are particularly seeking workshops related to:
- Food safety in an age of technology
- Communicating with consumers
- Food security and food equity
- Environment, weather and climate change effects on production
Workshop proposal submission deadline: October 17, 2019
Submitting a Community Action Plan Presentation Proposal
Presentations should include what the Community Action Plan team thinks would be valuable for this year’s summit participants to know as they consider their action plans.
Presentations could include:
- How last year’s summit sparked the plan’s development
- Specifics about the CAP: goals, inputs, outcomes
- How the group worked together to accomplish the plan
- Lessons learned as a result of working together on the CAP
- Next steps for the group, whether related to the plan or not
Community Action Plan Presentation proposal submission deadline: October 17, 2019
Selected workshops and Community Action Plan presentations proposals will be reviewed by the National 4‑H Conference Center’s team and you will be contacted by November 1, 2019. For questions, please contact Freeman Thompson, Director, Center Events at FTHOMPSON@4HCENTER.ORG or 301-961-2917.
Registration Scholarships Presented by Bayer
Bayer remains a major sponsor for the NYS on Agri-Science. Their funding will help provide registration scholarships for selected Workshops and Community Action Plan (CAP) Presentation teams.
- Selected Workshops Presentations will receive scholarships for 1 adult and 2 youth.
- Selected CAP Presentations will receive scholarships for 1 adult and 1 youth.
- Scholarships do not include travel to/from the Summit.
- Scholarships will be paid directly to the National 4‑H Center.
- Proposals will be selected as a part of a peer-review process.
- Applicants will be notified if proposal was selected by November 1st.
- Selected proposal applicants must register their scholarship attendees online by 11:59 PM EST on Friday, December 6, 2019 in order to take advantage of the registration scholarships.